Sunday, December 5, 2010

ok, maybe winter isn't so bad. (wait! who wrote that???)

before i continue on to this post, i want you to check out our weather forecast for the next couple days. (click on "our weather forecast." it takes you to the weather channel's page for our town.) notice all the snow. it started last night, just lightly. but today... yup. lots of snow. the roads aren't pretty (and coincidentally, my truck's front end isn't pretty anymore, either. stupid guardrails). they're very slippery and messy and all-around nasty. if you live in this area and don't absolutely need to go out, don't.


which leads to the point of this post:

those things about winter that are wonderful and remind me of the little blessings in my life:
  • warm coffee in my favourite christmas mug. it's a giant mug covered with candy canes, etc. it is also ideal for hot chocolate.
  • hot chocolate with the kidley-winks. a rare treat, but a fun one. 
  • de-icing windshield washer fluid. which reminds me: i need to put de-icing windshield washer fluid in the truck.
  • staying inside, snuggled on the couch, and enjoying the sounds of the kidley-winks playing.
  • the smells of soups, chilis, casseroles and breads emanating from the kitchen
  • the look of the snow in the backyard
  • the sights and sounds of the kidley-winks playing in the snow
  • christmas parties. 'nuff said. 
  • hot apple cider. preferable mulled with all those lovely things like cinnamon, cloves, orange slices... mmm....
  • comfy cozy slippers. espcially leopard-print comfy cozy slippers.
  • yoga pants and my pink, over-sized coconut joe sweatshirt. (quite a picture i paint, no?)
and one other thing. this afternoon, i went out to the shed to get the shovels. as it happens, they were buried under 50 lbs or so of carpet and underpad. and it was wedged between all of that and a pile of boxes. nice. anyhoo, as i was swearing grunting and pulling and trying desperately to not pull all that carpeting on top of myself, my neighbour came outside and asked if i'd like him to shovel the driveway for me. he's out there right now, not so much "shoveling" as "blowing" the snow.

so, ok. i'll admit. there are some wonderful things about winter.

and cherish this post. come february, i won't be so keen on finding blessings. by then, i'll be cursing the snow and the cold and the ice and the lack of sunshine and being stuck inside all day... ugh. but for now, i'm choosing the focus on the good things.

now, please pass the vitamin D supplements. 

0 comments:

Why I Write Here

i like this blog. this is where i write about homelife. my kids, my pets, recipes, natural cleaning products, gardening, cool finds... that's what i write about here. this is the hands-on part of my personal journey. i'm reclaiming myself, a self i lost in a hospital somewhere, among all the meds, plastic, waste and complexity that comes with Special Needs parenting. i crave simplicity, and this is my journey to create it for my family and me.

i'm prolific! check out my other blogs!

you like me! you REALLY like me!!

i'm on facebook! add me! :)

 

My Simple Life | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates