Saturday, May 31, 2008

cloth diapers and so forth

so, remember yesterday i wrote that i'm looking for cloth diapers? no? well, go now and read yesterday's post, directly beneath this one. then, once you're done, come back up here. ... [humming a cheery tune to myself whilst you read elsewhere.....] done? good. so you know what i'm talking about.

ok, now forget it.

we had used cloth diapers for blithe for a couple years, almost right up until she potty trained. then we had bram, or as i like to call him, "his royal highness, prince bram the sensitive." God forbid he sense a couple wee drops of something wet in his nappy! seriously, you have no idea. screamed like a banshee until we'd change his perfectly fine, almost bone-dry diaper. oh, yeah, it was just as fun as it sounds. ugh. so that was a no-go, and he was in disposables (much to my chagrin, but relief).

enter asher. he's in disposables at the hospital, and at the beginning, i'd had to give up so much else that i believe in regarding parenting, that the diaper issue really never came up. he's been in disposables this whole time.

at one time, we were going to get rid of the cloth diapers. in my mind, we already had. so, imagine my surprise last night, as i was checking out usedclothdiapers.com, when ed says ever-so-non-chalantly, "heather, we still have diapers upstairs." "um, excuse me," says i, in my most non-valley girl tone, "those are disposables. i want cloth. duh." he rolls his eyes (not unlike you upon reading this), and heads upstairs. i hear some stuff being moved around, and down he comes with a laundry basket filled with blithe's old diapers!

long story short (yeah, right, this is me, after all), we have diapers. and covers. just need to freshen them up a bit, and fix a seam on one, and we're in business! well, first i want to finish up the disposables. i paid good money for them, and i don't think we have too many left. so, later this week, my baby/toddler will be a cloth-diaper-wearing, butt-even-bigger-than-i-ever-imagined-possible-on-a-hypoplast kid! woohoo!!!!!!

i just need to find some extra liners for overnight. until i do, i still have some flat diapers that i can fold up and put in there, but i'd like the extra liners. they fit perfectly. and before you offer your oh-so-predictable protest, "but heather, he's on laxatives! yuck!" i'm going to be perfectly honest with you. but sit down before you read this, because it will shock you. ready? ok. when blithe was wee, i cleaned a lot of poopy cloth diapers. and you know, i washed those ones by hand, and took great pride in getting them clean. and i mean clean! i defy you to find a stain on those diapers! go ahead and look (if you get the chance ever). you won't find one. that's because i'm gooooooood. it was actually quite rewarding, in a crappy (pun intended) kind of way... to get something so dirty and gross, so clean. so there. i can't wait. i'm so excited, i'm like a little puppy! ok, not that excited. i'll leave that to bram (honestly, today he and a little red-haired girl - how ever so charlie brown! - were playing fetch. seriously, fetch! and bram was not the one throwing the ball. no, he was down on all fours retrieving the ball with his teeth. "bram, are you a dog?" i asked. "no, mommy," says he, clearly disgusted by my ignorance, "i'm pretending to be a dog.") ok, now where was i? kind of lost my train of thought there. ah, yes, cloth diapers. woohoo!

so, to sum up:

  1. i'm disorganized and absent-minded.
  2. when quoting myself, i make myself out to be a twit.
  3. i have cloth diapers for asher.
  4. bram is whipped.

that's today. tonight i cleaned my kitchen (well, mostly, anyway), and tomorrow i'm making pasta, rice and beans with the kiddies in the afternoon, and donating toys to somewhere. that's my sunday coming up. well, i've gotta go. his highness beckons. toodles! :)

0 comments:

Why I Write Here

i like this blog. this is where i write about homelife. my kids, my pets, recipes, natural cleaning products, gardening, cool finds... that's what i write about here. this is the hands-on part of my personal journey. i'm reclaiming myself, a self i lost in a hospital somewhere, among all the meds, plastic, waste and complexity that comes with Special Needs parenting. i crave simplicity, and this is my journey to create it for my family and me.

i'm prolific! check out my other blogs!

you like me! you REALLY like me!!

i'm on facebook! add me! :)

 

My Simple Life | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates