Friday, October 24, 2008

Carrot soup... by me! :)


i tried something new today... i have never made soup before. i've always wanted to, but i was afraid. ok, well, i'll be honest. i made soup once before... but, well, it didn't work out so well. that was years ago now, and it's taken me until today to try again.
well, after seeing all the wonderful produce i got at the farm this week, especially all the carrots, i was inspired. i LOVE autumn veggie soups. so, i thought i would try one out. and the reviews are in....
AWESOME!!!!!!
here's my (big) recipe:
INGREDIENTS:
14 carrots, sliced, diced, whatever. make sure the pieces are small enough, so they won't take so long to cook.
4 potatoes, cubed
1 sweet potato, cubed
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic (but i really like garlic. i don't think you'd need to put that much in if you didn't want to)
water (enough to cover plus a bit more. sorry, i didn't measure. i just poured the water in straight from the tap)
nutmeg
butter. i don't know, a couple tablespoons worth? sorry again, i should have said earlier, i never measure. anything. it's why i don't bake. but i digress...
DIRECTIONS
cut up the veggies and toss them in the pot.
pour in the water.
bring to a boil, then simmer on medium until the veggies are tender.
add the butter. stir it all up.
blend until smooth.
enjoy!
i liked this soup. and the "recipe" made quite a bit. i filled 2 1L jars, a 500ml jar, and a couple smaller jam jars (for myself, on days when the kids are with ed). i also got about half of another 1L jar, which we'll enjoy likely on sunday for lunch.
so, there you go. my first attempt at soup, and it's good! and so, i thought i would leave you with a fitting quotation this evening, since we're in a soup-y frame of mind at the moment:
Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.
- Ludwig von Beethoven

3 comments:

AnnMarie Brown said...

your soup was wonderful!!!

Heather said...

i'm glad you liked it!

Foodie Mom said...

Yummy! Exactly my kind of recipe. I love autumn veggie soups too (and pretty much everything else about the season!)

Glad you had soup success!

Why I Write Here

i like this blog. this is where i write about homelife. my kids, my pets, recipes, natural cleaning products, gardening, cool finds... that's what i write about here. this is the hands-on part of my personal journey. i'm reclaiming myself, a self i lost in a hospital somewhere, among all the meds, plastic, waste and complexity that comes with Special Needs parenting. i crave simplicity, and this is my journey to create it for my family and me.

i'm prolific! check out my other blogs!

you like me! you REALLY like me!!

i'm on facebook! add me! :)

 

My Simple Life | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates